The Lehigh Conference of Churches
Justice & Advocacy
Immigration & Sanctuary:
Please join us for this introductory workshop on US immigration policies and practices, and an overview of what is involved in immigrant sanctuary. We welcome people of all faiths who want their congregations to take action and leadership in assisting vulnerable members of their community.
A Workshop for People of Faith
1:30 pm ||
Registration, resources, coffee/tea & conversation|
2:00-5:00 pm ||Program|
- Our God is Undocumented: Immigration and Sanctuary in our Faith Traditions
- Overview of the US immigration system and policies, "sanctuary cities", sanctuary congregations, street sanctuary; refugees and immigrants.
- What is involved in becoming a "Sanctuary Congregation": An overview of legal and practical implications, and resources for beginning conversation within your congregation.
- This event is free, but pre-registration is requested, and donations will be accepted. Please pre-register here by November 9, and
look for updates here prior to the event.
- Presentations will be bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Sponsored by the Justice and Advocacy Committee of
The Lehigh Conference of Churches,
Grupo de Apoyo e Integración Hispanoamericano, and St. Luke's Lutheran Church.
Immigration and Sanctuary Resources
Immigrant Sanctuary - Resources and Toolkits
- Radical Hospitality: Responding to the Issue of Immigration (Mennonite Church USA)- 6-week study, beginning with Biblical foundation. Uses on-line video clips for 5 of the 6 sessions.
- Immigration Toolkits (Presbyterian Church USA) - These kits focus on five topics: Detention, Refugee Resettlement, State Immigration Legislation, the DREAM Act, and Comprehensive immigration Reform.
- HIAS (Jewish) - resources for refugee resettlement and immigrant sanctuary.
- Pledge to join the Mosque Sanctuary Movement
- Resources 101: for Immigrants & Allies - immigration advocacy campaigns, community organizing tools, and many other resources.
- Immigration Toolkits (Interfaith Immigration Coalition)
- Sanctuary in the Streets Guide
- Raid Response Guidelines
- Sanctuary Cities and Municipal ID Cards
- Sanctuary Toolkit (PDF)
- Sanctuary Toolkit (DOCX)
- Immigration Enforcement and Sanctuary (Peace & Justice News, June 2017) - overview of U.S. deportation policy and sanctuary
- Are You in Need of Sanctuary
- Sanctuary Pledge
- DHS Memorandum - Summary and Analysis (AILA, Feb. 20, 2017) Summary of revised immigration policies under the Trump administration. Note that some provisions of DAPA (Delayed Action for Parental Accountability) were overruled by federal court action in 2016.