The Heart of Justice|
The Lehigh Conference of Churches
Justice & Advocacy
The Heart of Justice:
Breaking the Cycle of
Fear, Violence, Punishment, Retaliation
Organizations - Pennsylvania and Lehigh Valley
Other Web Resources
NPR - Bail Bond podcasts:
- Bail Burden Keeps U.S. Jails Stuffed With Inmates (2010: 20:58)
- Inmates Who Can't Make Bail Face Stark Options (2010: 7:47)
- Bondsman Lobby Targets Pretrial Release Programs (2010: 8:58)
The House I Live In (2013: 109 min.) - a powerful documentary about the Drug War and mass incarceration in the U.S.
Policing the Police (2016: 56 min.) - a Frontline documentary about the Newark Police Department and the efforts to reign in abusive policing practices in the U.S.
Gideon's Army (2014: 96 min.) - a documentary about the under-funded and under-resourced public defenders whose job it is to provide the poor with fair legal representation.
The Central Park Five (2012: 119 min.) - a documentary about the case of five Black and Latino teenagers in New York who were unjustly convicted of raping a white woman and who spent between 6 and 13 years in prison before their convictions were overturned.
Broken on All Sides (2012: 68 min.)
( Contact Justice & Advocacy at email@example.com to schedule a local showing of this documentary. )
PBS Frontline: Locked Up in America (view on-line or order DVD)
- Breaking Down the Box (2016: 41 min)
- on solitary confinement. Examines the mental health, racial justice and human rights implications of the systemic use of solitary confinement in U.S. prisons. (More resources and DVD order form at nrcat.org/breakingdownthebox)
- 13th (2016: 100 min.)
On racism and U.S. criminal justice system. The title refers to the 13th Amendment to U.S. Constitution which freed the slaves and prohibited slavery - except as punishment for a crime
- Rikers: An American Jail (2016: 56 min.)
DVD (free) and discussion guide
- Pull of Gravity (2013: 81 min.)
about reentry stories for several people in Philadelphia
- Brave New Films (series of short videos on many topics, including these):
- "Kids for Cash" the movie - story of Luzerne County, PA, juvenile judges convicted of taking bribes. In theaters, DVD, and download. (May 2014)
Look for updates to this list from time to time this fall.